Cities of The Way: Bilbao
In the Northern Route we can find one of the main cities of Spain, capital of the Basque Country, Bilbao. We recommend to spent a few days in the city to really discover all its corners. But if you have little time, here are the main places you can not miss if you're in Bilbao for just one day.
- The Guggemheim Museum. The museum opened its doors in 1997, and since then, it attracts more than a million visitors every year! The impressive building is famous not only by its contemporary art collection, but also by its modern architecture designed by the canadian Frank Gehry. You will find it next to the river, and don't forget that outside of it you will also find two of the most famous sculptures of the city: the big flower dog, Puppy and the Iron Spider.
- The Old Town. Bilbao has a really charming (and big!) old town area. You can get lost in its little streets, a labyrinth full of bars and restaurants where you can enjoy typical pintxos and tapas, with some recipes of the most aclaimed cuisin in the world. In the old town you will also find the "Plaza Nueva" (The New Suare"), the Arriaga Theatre or La Ribera Market.
- Azkuna Zentroa. Previously known as "The Alhondiga", this wine house was built more than a hundred years ago, but now is a big cultural centre and one of the most dinamic places of the city.
- Zubiri Bridge. The peatonal bridge more important of Bilbao, wiith an arch structure in white, its silouette reminds of a ship. Other one of the essential places you will discover in your visit.
- The Basilica of Begoña. This church was built at the beginning of the 16th century in the place where the Virgin appeared. It has characteristics of the Gothic style, despite its mix of various trends. The Virgin of Begoña is the patron saint of Bizkaia (Vizcaya), and is also known as Amatxu.
Contact us for more information about Bilbao and the northern route.