Cities of The Way: San Sebastián
Famous for its Film Festival, San Sebastian has a lot more to offer during the whole year. Pilgrims that take the Northern Route will have the chance to discover this maritime city in the Basque Country. Not too big, but not too small, is the perfect place to enjoy on a quick visit. Here are the essentials you can not miss if you have a day to spent in San Sebastián.
- Cathedral "El buen pastor" (The good shepherd). This cathedral of neogothic style will impress you with its size and verticality. It is the largest cathedral of Guipuzkoa and ots tower can be seen from the distance. Surrounding the cathedral youu will find some of the main shopping and touristic streets.
- Alderdi Eder and The Council. Alderdi Eder can be translated as "beautiful garden", and that is exactly what you will find next to the council. Is te perfect place to rest next to flowers, gardens and nature, but still in the centre of the city. It also has one of the best viewing points of the city, where you can see the bay.
- "La concha" Beach. San Sebastian has three different beaches (La Concha, Ondarreta and Zurriola) but La Concha is the most popular one. Following the sea you will also find the Miramar Palace, other place where you can stop and admire the views.
- "Ondarreta Beach". The walk from La Concha, will lead you to Ondarreta Beach, a beach famous for its tremendous sculptures of Eduardo Chillida. 3 big sculptures of 10 tons each where the waves crushed dramatically. The perfect place to admire the sun set.
- The Bay and the Old Town. If you want to try the typical pintxos, you wil found thousand of bars in the streets of the old town. The most famous street is the 31 of August Street, where at the end of it you will find other of the most important sites of the city, The Constitution Square.
Are you ready to meet San Sebastián and the whole Northern Route?